Thursday, August 13, 2009

Letter From Jill Episcopio - Parent

Cynthia,

Like other parents I was very shocked to receive the letter from the association informing me that the preschool is closing. Last year I spent several months looking for a preschool that would be a good fit for my son and meet my needs as a parent. I was happy to learn about Lakeview Learning Center from my neighbor who’s daughter attended for two years. This school has so much to offer; a caring, well-qualified, and dedicated staff, flexible hours, affordable tuition, and a safe environment. In addition, it is one of the few State accredited schools in the area.
I not only find it disheartening that the board has decided to close such a valuable asset to our community, I am disappointed in how they have conducted themselves.. The fact that they made this decision in an emergency closed-door meeting without involving the staff and parents is unacceptable and unprofessional. I was under the impression that the board of directors is in place to represent the views and best interests of its constituents. I don’t feel confident that this is happening. Although I am not a “member” of this association, as a parent of a student at the school, I deserve to get a better understanding of why the school staff was not consulted.

Needless to say, my 4-year old son was very disappointed to learn that he may only have 2 weeks left to attend his beloved preschool. As a parent it will be a struggle to find a school that will live up to the same standards in such a short time. Many quality preschools have waiting lists so he will not be able to start with the other students at the beginning of the year. This will only make the adjustment more difficult.

I know that many parents and members are going to rally in support of the school. I hope the board listens and can come up with a solution to keep the school open.

Sincerely,

Jill Episcopio

(parent of Christopher)

No comments:

Post a Comment