Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Letter From L.F.C.A. Member - Karen Ver Wayne

I just want to put my 2 cents worth in. Both of my children went to the preschool at the Lake Forest Beach and Tennis Club 28 and 24 years ago. In those days they went 3 days a week from 9 - 12:00. I always felt that it was a central part of our community. We often would go swimming after preschool, packing a lunch and swimming with some of the other children and their mothers. Those same children ended up in the same swimming lessons. They even ended up in Indian Maidens or on the same soccer team. It felt like we were all part of a community. Two years ago I saw a girl that had been in my son's preschool class at my doctor's office. It turned out she was now a doctor at that practice and had graduated from high school with my son. She was so surprised that I remembered her from preschool. What a great feeling when that sense of community was felt. I know that sometime later situations had changed and mothers started going back to work. The preschool needed to change to meet the needs of the residents and become a full time business. Even back 28 years ago money was a problem. The preschool had to share its building with the teen center. Can't something be done to save the preschool? I am sure these parents feel like this is a safe place for their children to come. You didn't even give us homeowners any details. What are the hours, how many children attend, are they association members only or do they take those living outside the association? I heard there is a shortage of $5,000. per year. Can't you raise preschool fees? Give the homeowners a chance to work this out………don't just close the school.

Karen Ver Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment